Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Beginning of the End


The middle of June is fast approaching and with that means the start of the death season, or as you may know it, Summer. I hate the Summer, loathe it to it's very core, and all because of the heat. Sure you may thank the sun for giving us such little things like the ability to continue living, but me I shake my fist at it for making me a walking version of Niagara Falls for three months. Don't get me wrong Summer can be one of the more fun seasons because there are lots of good things that come with Summer like the beach, BBQ's, and a bevy of outdoor activities (I got a SIX on the Sun-Stare!) With that I figure I would try and come up with some good ideas for the upcoming Summer season, like actual things to do or try, maybe tips for how to do something better or correct, stuff like that, and maybe it's something you do regularly and maybe it's something you've never tried before but I hope for it to be somewhat useful either way.
  • Lots of people do it, few do it right. Sure that can be said about a lot of things, pervert, but it's been my experience it's true more often then not when it comes to Grilling a Steak, so here are some easy step by step instructions.
  • Go to the Beach! There is nothing like hanging out with a bunch of friends at the beach tossing a football around and then going for a nice swim in the ocean to cool off. And whats better is its free! End the day with your new skills in grilling a steak and you're set!
  • Whats the best part of a water park? That's right, the Lazy River! Something me and a few friends tried a couple years ago but something I won't soon forget. A real lazy river! Basically get a ride a few miles up, handed a tube, and told to have fun while you float back down river to where you parked your car!
  • Something I haven't done besides in the comfort of my own back yard but am looking forward to trying this summer is Camping. Real deal camping out under the stars. Camp site, tents, sleeping bag, cooking food over an open fire, the whole nine yards! Seems to me like it would be very relaxing and peaceful, add some alcohol and you've really got yourself a party.
  • Pick up a new sport. If not for exercise then why not for fun? The beautiful weather gives you plenty of outdoor time to try out a new sport, get some practice in, find something you that fits you and that you can really enjoy. I find Golf to be relaxing at times, but frankly quite boring. Tennis on the other hand I love and is a great summer time sport for both fitness and fun!
  • With the nicer weather here there will be plenty of Carnivals and Fairs that you can find in your area to go and spend a day out of the house at. There is always a wide variety of fairs during the day, usually on weekends, ranging from arts and crafts to food. If day fairs aren't your thing there are always plenty of night fairs and carnivals full of funnel cake and rides!
  • Take a hike! Seriously there are plenty of places you can go for a nice hike out in the woods or on a trail in a park. Pack yourself a snack and a bottle of water and go enjoy nature for a few hours.
  • One of my favorite things to do during the summer when the sun starts to go down and it starts to cool off was to start up the grill (on the rare occasion it wasn't already going,) and make some Smores! Whats not to enjoy?! Chocolate, graham crackers, and marshmallow, and it's always a good laugh trying to put them together around a grill with a bunch of friends.
Albeit not everything possible to do to enjoy the summer and get out of the house it is at least a start! If this list does anything I hope it gets you out of the house and doing something. Stay cool!

1 comment: